How To Start An Effective Morning Routine

I find an effective morning routine is really important to getting the day off to a good start. I know having a good morning routine really sets me up for a good day and does so many wonders for my mental wellbeing. It also helps me to gain focus, motivation, clarity and a positive mental attitude. If you’re looking to work on your mindset then creating an effective morning routine will help with this

Morning Routine.

I know how hard it can be to fit everything in, especially when you have young children. It’s helpful if you have the support of family or if, like me, you naturally wake up early and often before the rest of the family gives you the time to put this in place. Having an effective morning routine doesn’t involve getting up hours and hours earlier either. You can prepare an effective morning in just fifteen minutes. What’s important is to just spend a bit of time by yourself and dedicating those moments to setting you up for the day.

1. Don’t check any notifications on your phone, computer or tablet. Leave social media alone. You don’t need to focus on that right now, any updates will be there after you’ve properly woken up and set yourself up for the day. It can be really hard but sometimes we are just pounded with negativity and that can really hinder your day.
  2. Drink 1 or 2 pints of water. If you can squeeze a bit of lemon in this even better. Water will wake you up, refresh your body and start detoxing your body for the day. I always go straight to the kitchen and drink water before doing anything else to hydrate my body.
  3. Meditate or Visualise. Take a few moments, perhaps listening to guided meditation or visualising how you want your day to go.
  4. Say your affirmations. I get my daughter involved in this and we chant a few together each morning and it really gives us both a happy, positive buzz. Our favourites are “We Have Health, Wealth and Happiness” and “We Are Kind and Honest Ladies”
  5. Take some time to read something or listen to a self development audio book. If you’re listening you can obviously do this whilst you’re writing your to do list or putting on your face. You can also take the time to read two or three pages of a business book. Get some knowledge in you for the day.
  6. Write a to do list for the day. You can do this whilst you’re having your water or waiting for the kettle to boil. This will help with your productivity and taking action for the day. It doesn’t have to be a lot either, in fact, just having a short to do list but being able to complete it will make you feel really accomplished and continues that positive mental attitude.
  7. Work Out. This doesn’t have to be crazy, this could be a morning 5 minute Yoga Flow, a quick HIIT routine or hitting the gym or pool if that’s your thing. It feels so good to work out in the morning and it really helps to set me up for the day. It also means once it’s done I don’t need to worry about fitting it in later.

How To Create an Effective Morning Routine

I hope these tips have helped you consider how you could fit in an effective morning routine into your day.
This post has been shared with:

3 Little Buttons
Pink Pear Bear
Mummascribbles

14 thoughts on “How To Start An Effective Morning Routine

• Kat says:

It’s a challenge! It’s done me a lot of good though, stops me thinking about everyone else’s drama first thing in the morning! 🙂

1. mommyhomemanager says:

This is such a great list! I could really use a morning routine overhaul. I at least try to get in some exercise everyday…but I am usually interrupted by my son waking up. 😦
    Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

2. So Happy In Town (@SoHappyInTown) says:

I’m terrible at checking my phone as soon as I wake up – I know, I shouldn’t even have it in my room but it’s my alarm too. Drinking water is so important and is the first thing I do once I get downstairs, and when I ever manage it and have time, when I work out I feel so much better for the day ahead. #BigPinkLink

Liked by 1 person

• Kat says:

You’re so right there, I really feel a lot better when I work out first thing! My phone is my alarm too and it’s so easy to check social media! I struggle but then I sort of think the notifications aren’t going anywhere I can wait haha

3. Aleena Brown says:

These are really good tips, and it’s nice to read a list that doesn’t purely focus on what to do with the kids (which is what I expected when I clicked through!) I always get up before the kids, but usually spend my time doing things like preparing their breakfast rather than just focussing on me for 10 or 15 minutes! #dreamteam

Liked by 1 person

• Kat says:

As mums it’s really hard for us to actually have anytime to ourselves isn’t it? I get up around an hour before I wake up my daughter for school, and I have to admit it’s a lot easier now she’s older!

Liked by 1 person

4. pinkpearbear says:

I really love this and I think these are great tips that I could do with implementing. I am guilty of checking my phone the minute I wake up and I hate it. I need to have a break altogether I think, but it hasn’t happened yet. This sounds a little more realistic a change to make. Thanks for linking up with us this week. #bigpinklink

Liked by 1 person

5. Annette, 3 Little Buttons says:

This is such a great morning routine, but I don’t think I would be able to fit anything like this in, even though I would love to do so. Well apart from cheering my little one on (whilst probably doing her hair). I do agree that ditching social media checks first thing in the morning is a good idea (unless it’s your linky day). I take my hat off to you with the morning work out, if running across the London underground tube platforms counts, then I’m in. #DreamTeam xx

Liked by 1 person